Sunday 6 January 2013

In Which I Recommend The Crud Factory E-books

A font that I recommended in my previous post, Goudy Bookletter 1911, was created by Barry Schwartz. You can find it and others of his fonts on his website, ironically named "The Crud Factory." Its proud motto: "Free Rubbish for Free Minds."

The site has three attractions: some life-affirming photographs on the main page, a page of typefaces to download, and a page of e-books in PDF format. As you'd expect from a type designer, these are beautifully laid out, and worth looking at, though they are, admittedly, an idiosyncratic selection.
John Milton, Paradise Lost
Louis Ginzberg, The Creation of the World
Louis Ginzberg, Adam and Eve
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese
Wallace Stevens, Sunday Morning
Alfred Korzybski, Fate and Freedom
L. Zamenhof, Anekdotoj el la Fundamenta Krestomatio
Daniel Defoe, Robinsono Kruso, translated into Esperanto by A. Krafft

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I won't read through the books in Esperanto, and I doubt I'll get through all Count Korzybski's lecture, but this edition of "Paradise Lost" might tempt me into a re-reading, and I might even give Wallace Stevens another try, though his work hasn't always grabbed me in the past.

      On the other hand, I'd love to have that guy lay out my Beowulf translation for publication :-)

      -Gareth

      Delete